At Kaia's 18-month well-baby visit the interim pediatrician entered the room and said, "here is the little wunderkind." He was referring to the report he'd just been given by the P.A. student who performed Kaia's exam. Apparently he was impressed by the fact that she's blowing every toddler milestone out of the water. She is pretty amazing. She continues to entertain the entire family with her antics and is learning new concepts and words every day. Here are a few things she's learned to do since my last Kaia post:
- Buckle things. A favorite activity now. She has to buckle her booster seat when she's done eating and gets mad when I won't let her buckle and re buckle her car seat when we're trying to go somewhere.
- Say even more. She talks pretty clearly and uses full sentences often. She'll hand me something and say, "here you go Mommy," or, when Kenzie is getting some veg-out time watching Dora Kaia, hoping to join her, will say, "want to sit on couch. on couch." She sings verses of No More Monkeys Jumping on the Bed and Ring Around the Rosie.
- Ask questions. She is always inquiring, "Mommy doin'? doin' Mommy?" And her new favorite request since Halloween, "candy, mommy? candy?"
- Be overtly defiant. Up until now we could write off Kaia's lack of obedience as immaturity. Now it is clear that when we tell her "no, we do not throw food. Do not throw your food, eat your food," and she looks me in the eyes and throws another spoonful of noodles, she is making a choice.
- Count to six, or ten, or three. Depends on how she's feeling. This is a product of many, many games of hide-and-seek with Sister. The first time we heard her count to six Dustin and couldn't believe it.
- Snuggle. She is a little cuddle bug, and not just with me. I catch her and Kenzie snuggled under a blanket on the couch all the time. Kaia copies her big sister and puts "babies" to bed (stuffed animals and the like) and will lie with them and cuddle. When Kaia gives a hug she gives it with love. Every time.
- Pretend. She's been pretend eating for a while, but she's beginning to create pretend situations now. The other day she pretended to cry then looked at her teddy bear and said, "baby cry, baby sad." She pretended to cry again and picked up her bear and told it, "okay, baby, okay baby."
- Fall for her first crush. The girl is in LOVE with her cousin Josh. She lights up when ever he is around and talks about him all the time. Randomly she'll smile and say, "Joshy tickle me." She's gaga for him!
We love our Kaia boo. She is the silliest of us all, and we're a pretty silly bunch.