Kaia turned one last weekend and it gave me an opportunity to put my new Pinterest addiction to good use. Complete with tissue paper pom poms and personalized banners we celebrated Kaia's big milestone with over 60 people at our home. Kaia continues to be the happiest, most personable baby on the block. She was handed around all afternoon and never fussed. She loved her first cupcake (though admittedly not her first sugary treat) and really seemed to enjoy being surrounded by our family and friends.
She wasn't at all overwhelmed by her birthday song.
I'm still cleaning up from the party and there are balloons and other decorations throughout our house. Kenzie's birthday is this weekend, so half the work is done already for her party.
Pom poms are the gift that keeps giving...
Kenzie was an early talker (and she hasn't stopped since) and she seems to have taught little Kaia to follow her lead. Kaia says nearly ten words consistently and tries new ones every day. The last post showed Kaia's first steps. After that day she seemed to make a conscious decision that she was going to stop crawling and be a full-time walker. It was sometimes painful to watch how long it took her to get from point A to point B, but no matter how many times she fell she never crawled. She would get back to her feet and keep trudging on. Now she walks like a pro. She has a bright, warm personality that makes it impossible to be in a foul mood when she's around. She's our little troublemaker, too, always running to the stairs, toilet, dog food, etc whenever she sees an opportunity.
Some of Kaia's other talents include:
- understanding simple requests like "throw the ball," "give this to Daddy," "lets to find big sister," "that's too big, spit it out."
- dancing to the music. Any noise can entice her to bounce up and down.
- hugging. She will give hugs upon request and loves to hug her stuffed animals and Kenzie's babies.
- saying hi, whoa, Kona, ball, Daddy, water (wawa), arf arf (you know, what a dog says), and eat.
- signing more, all done, milk, eat, and water.
- finding her belly and toes. She likes to eat her toes so we ask her to do that all the time (it's too cute).
- making us all laugh at her dinner table shenanigans. She holds onto her tray with both hands and shakes her head (along with the rest of her body) yelling "ahhhhhh" the whole time. The more we laugh the more she does it.
- stopping to smell the flowers. Although actually smelling things will take a while, right now she blows out her mouth when she "smells." She smells real flowers and pictures of flowers in her books.
- climbing the stairs quickly. Too quickly. If we forget to put a gate up she knows it and will be on stair three (at least) before we can get to her. (We could leave the stairs ungated with Kenzie because she had no interest in climbing.)
- doing laps. She walks in laps around the kitchen island, and when she gets bored with that she does laps around the dining room table. Seriously, the girl walks miles each day.
- "helping" me do the laundry or throw things in the trash. She gets really excited to throw her dirty diapers in the trash.
- making everyone smile. She is a bright light in our lives, there's no doubt about it.